trebleclef header

Thursday 20 August 2009

過度過期的書評

Long overdue book review...


Its that time of the year again and I'll have to take my IPPT... Well, its a birthday present from the government so I'm not complaining (though I got the present 2 months in advance)...

Was surprised when someone called my name while I was doing my warm ups, looked up and saw Shu Qiang!!! What coincidence - he is my Secondary School classmate and the best part is his birthday is 2 days after mine!!! Normally it wouldn't be much of a surprise if I were to do it in August, but its only June!!! We did the statics individually but the 2.4km run together... I was quite worried that I couldn't make the Silver timing as my previous days' training didn't give me much confidence... Humble him said he didn't have much confidence either, so we were to pace each other...

IPPT09
The results...

Compared with previous year's results, I've not worsen much... I know... I'm 30 seconds slower... Then again, its not like you can achieve much in 30 seconds, other than storming a hijacked plane and killing all 4 hijackers with hostages and commandos uninjured... Hey, at least 2 years past the age of a CAT X and I can still obtain the Silver timing for it is some achievement by itself...

*****************************

I've long finished "Empire of Lies", its a boring read I would say... Sure, there are lots of action and suspense, but it just moves very slowly like what I said previously... That is until yesterday that I read Andrew Klavan's blog and understood his mind... This book and most of his others are written to scorn the modern leftist America... There's just so much resentment in the current media, politics and everyone that I can't really explain properly myself... I pretty much agree with him; except his extreme racism...

Its not like I condemn racism like "the majority Americans" he described, but it is just not fair to condemn every other race/religion because of a particular group... The way I read it, it seems like he is thinking that Americans are the only humans and Christianity is the only true religion... For the record, I have nothing against Americans or Christianity... I agree that when reporting about terrorists, they should just use the word "terrorists"... However, being a Muslim is NOT equal to being a terrorist!!! Can someone please kidnap him to Singapore and let him witness how we can live harmoniously "regardless of race, language or religion"?

This doesn't make me hate him or anything, its just because of the environment that he resides in that gave him his views... Hopefully putting him in another environment will give him other views...

Right... I still love his works and I found out that there really is a sequel to "Dynamite Road"... "Dynamite Road" is the first of a 3-part series, the second being "Shotgun Alley" and the third, "Damnation Street"... The problem is "Shotgun Alley" is not available in the National Library neither I can find it in any of the Tertiary libraries!!! I'll have to search all the small private book stores but most probably not gonna get to read it at all... Still, can't wait to read the 2nd book of the "Homelander" series...

No comments: