trebleclef header

Friday 10 April 2015

抱最好的希望

Hope for the best...

Tonight, I'm flying off to Brazil for the second time in my life... The previous time was 2 years ago and it was for the same exhibition...

This year, I will be bringing a different exhibit from previously... What was the most amazing thing about this year was that I wasn't prepared at all... I was really setting myself up for failure; just 2 days ago, I thought I was doomed... It didn't help that I was running my first tender concurrently...

I did not start preparing the demo until this week and only when the brochures had arrived that I realised I missed out one brochure... I really wanted to break down and cry at that point of time...

I wanted to blame someone for the brochures but I knew it was my fault... Sitting there, feeling desperate, I blanked out for 5 minutes... During the time I blanked out, I actually told Shermaine how to solve the brochure problem... I felt proud of myself and wanted to relish in that feeling but I didn't have time...

Steven was the engineer who helped me prepare the demo... He only started work this Monday and it is really amazing what he had done within 5 working days... On the third day, when we showed the VP the work-in-progress, he had lots of comments and many things that required changing... While I hated him for making those comments, I knew that was the minimum standard to actually be able to do a proper demo and we didn't have much of a choice...

Steven is very smart and detailed... too detailed in fact... I had to stop him from perfecting everything and prioritise his tasks so that we can meet the minimum standard first... At one point, he asked my opinion for something which I have no idea what he was talking about... Well, it is a "good-to-have" but with the timeline we are running, I don't even have time to put that as my last priority...

While my motto in life is to hope for the best and expect the worst, I feel like I was only hoping for the best all these while... Now that I'm at home typing this, I feel really, really thankful to Steven and Shermaine for the help they have given me to pull through this... You guys are the "best" that has happened to me...

No comments: