trebleclef header

Sunday 2 July 2006

教育與文憑

Does education equals certification?


This question flashed through my mind while I was passing by Assumption Vocational Institute... There was this banner promoting the school's certificates and I thought how good is the certificate... Anyone who sees this kind of certificates would think that it is substandard, they would rather hire an A'level student than someone with the cert... Isn't it kind of illogical then? The person with the cert specializes in that particular kind of job, but the A'level student knows nothing...

Then another question comes into my mind, "What is the purpose of education?" The purpose of education in Singapore has become a way to get "that piece of paper at the end"... Shouldn't education be a means of learning some skills necessary for your job in the future? Back in the days when education wasn't widespread, people learnt essential skills themselves or from their masters... There was no paper needed, what you can do is more important than what others think you can do...

There is this friend, the band leader of a certain percussion band, he has no music certificates of any sort, so he was not thought highly of by the director... It's not because he can't play well (I'm pretty sure he is one of the best drummer of the 2nd generation); but because he has no certificates...

Then I thought about my situation, "Why am I trying so hard to get a First Class Honours? It's the knowledge that is important right?" The answer is simple: better honours = higher marks for exams = better knowledge of the subject... Seems like there is no easy way out of getting honours... I feel sad for musicians though...

Feels good each time I go to the cash deposit machine, I'm saving money!!! It's even better today, I've finally reached $2000 again!!! Ha!!! When my savings went below $2000 a few months back, I started panicking, "Am I spending too much?" Now to maintain it and try to hit $3000... So not used to having little reserves, can't really remember how I coped with a $14k drop in one night...

Saw an IQ test on someone else's blog and decided to try... I admit using a calculator, so the maths part is not true...

Your IQ Is 136

Your Logical Intelligence is Genius

Your Verbal Intelligence is Exceptional

Your Mathematical Intelligence is Genius

Your General Knowledge is Above Average

No comments: