trebleclef header

Monday 23 April 2007

專業藝人和藝術家

Professional artiste and artist...


Most of you should know that I'm a percussionist, that explains the artiste part... Soon, I'll be a professional artist as well...

Last week, I received a call asking if I applied for a Software Engineer job at 'S' company... She then asked me to go for an interview on Friday morning... Though I did not like the job of a Software Engineer, I thought I should still go just for the experience; haven't gone for any interviews before...

The interview wasn't as nerve wrecking as I thought it would be; its simpler than I expected... They asked me lots of theory questions that I couldn't answer, so I was surprised when they called me later in the evening to inform me of the second interview... (Are interviews all so easy?!?) I was told to prepare my portfolio - the website that I mentioned in my resume...

So I prepared my portfolio as ordered... Somehow, hearing the term portfolio made me prepare my drawings as well... I saved the scans and website in a CD and brought my drawings along... On the way there, I suddenly remembered that I'm applying for an IT job; a website would have some link though minimal, but drawings? What was I thinking?!? When I reached, I had some time to prepare myself as the interviewer would be late... I kept my drawings aside first, preparing to show only my website...

When the interviewer came in, he asked if I'm applying for some multimedia kind of job... I said, "No, I'm applying for the post of Software Engineer." On the application form in his hands, I can clearly see that I wrote Software Engineer... Then he asked to see my website, at the same time asking me if I played computer games... Ha!!! What computer game haven't I played before?!?

Seeing that I wrote drawing as one of my skills on the resume, he asked if I have any samples of my drawings... HaHa!!! I have!!! And I showed him my drawings... It was then that he told me the company needed people to do the graphical parts of the programs; engineers don't know nuts about aesthetics... My eyes lit up at that moment, "Is this really happening?!?" I'm gonna be doing what I really wanted to do!!!

2 years back, I blogged about my ambitions just after my first paper... Now that I'm getting a job in the same field, I'm one big step closer to my second ambition!!! I had planned to do such work after my Master's degree where I'll concentrate on this field, never would I had dreamed that my first job would be so close to what I've always wanted...

So... I'll be starting work on 1st July, as a professional artist... Haha... The net worth of my hands are gonna be increased by 300%; aren't worth much as a lowly musician now... Guess SIM's lectures are good for one thing or the other... If not for the boring lectures, I wouldn't had started drawing just to keep myself awake...

Do I still need a good degree then? Of course!!! Its for my personal satisfaction, I can't forget that I had wanted and still want a First Class Honours...

No comments: