trebleclef header

Monday 31 October 2005

精神支柱

Spiritual support...


This is a continuation of the previous post... It's been so long already, I think it's time I commended on that great buddy of mine... First some history about us, we were both part of an insane force... Our training consists of being tortured, torturing ourselves and torturing ourselves while we torture our juniors... The actual events are classified, so I'll not dabble into it... As if that was not enough, I have to suffer the pressures from above and from below... Being a Team Leader, pressure from above is understandable, but pressure from below? The men and the Team Leaders are of the same rank and usually the same age, so I had little or no control over them... I have to act a nice guy, and sweet talk them for them to do anything... It was a good thing I had such a great Team 2IC...

For the first half of the time spent there, he helped me alot... He shared my burden, and taught me how to handle the men... From him, I learnt simple communication skills that I seem to lack for the past 18 years... I was better at controlling my temper as well... If he wasn't there, I would probably have had several nervous breakdowns... After we turned operational, the stress level decreased and I was able to take a step back to look at things... I realized how much I had learnt from Jonathan, but how little I had done for him, in fact, I think I sucked him dry... He was only able to lead under my shadow; I had turned him into my puppet... He dares not make any decisions himself, maybe it was out of respect for me, or maybe I craved for power and never let him make those decisions...

I feel bad about this while I looked back at those days... I could sense my growth from the first day I entered the force to the day I left... As for Jonathan, I feel that he is more mature at the start then at the end, maybe it's because of the ORD mood... An excerpt from the testimonial he wrote for me: "... you've been a superb team leader, you have taught me lots of things, and i will have to thank you for that..." I wonder how much of that is true, but I really hope he meant it...

Life would never be the same if I had chosen someone else as the Team 2IC that day... Now that he is in UK, I wish him all the best... His birthday is coming soon as well, don't really remember exactly when... When he is back, I'll like to introduce this great buddy to everyone I know...

No comments: